to be honest, the only reason why i took it was because back in the day, the "original" group, elaine was called eli because of ken. eli (or more like 'yee lie' in cantonese) was my nickname in hk, which btw i like a lot. yes even when 'yee lie' means mistress... so i changed it to elle instead to not confuse anyone. but i really dont like elle... not as much as eli :P so from now on, if you could please refer to me as eli or eliza and not elle. i would appreciate it :D
i took this from jen's journal. it's pretty interesting :) you've probably seen it before. but i like it. i esp. like the last quote... and as jen said #9 is scary. i'm so gonna double check my kid ONCE i give birth to it (e.g. birthmarks) before they take it away.
hey i knew some of these already :P
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW BUT PROBABLY DON'T
1 . Money isn't made out of paper, it's made out of cotton.
2. The Declaration of Independence was written on hemp paper, which, if you didn't know, is from the marijuana plant !!!!
3. The dot over the letter i is called a "tittle".
4. A raisin dropped in a glass of fresh champagne will bounce up and down continuously from the bottom of the glass to the top.
5. Susan Lucci is the daughter of Phyllis Diller.
6. 40% of McDonald's profits come from the sales of ''Happy Meals''.
7. 315 entries in Webster's 1996 Dictionary, were mis-spelled.
8. The 'spot' on 7UP comes from its inventor, who had red eyes. He was an albino.
9. On average, 12 newborns will be given to the wrong parents, daily.
10. Warren Beatty and Shirley MacLaine are brother and sister.
11. Chocolate affects a dog's heart and nervous system; a few ounces will kill a small sized dog.
12. Orcas (killer whales) kill sharks by torpedoing up into the shark's stomach from underneath, causing the shark to explode.
13. Most lipstick contains fish scales.
14. Donald Duck comics were banned from Finland because he doesn't wear pants.
15. Ketchup was sold in the 1830's as medicine.
16. Upper and lower case letters are named 'upper' and 'lower' because in the time when all original print had to be set in individual letters, the upper case' letters were stored in the case on top of the case that stored the smaller, 'lower case' letters.
17. Leonardo DA Vinci could write with one hand and draw with the other at the same time. i say, multi-tasking at it's best :)
18. Because metal was scarce, the Oscars given out during World War II were made of wood.
19. There are no clocks in Las Vegas gambling casinos.
20. The name Wendy was made up for the book Peter Pan; there was never a recorded Wendy before!
21. There are no words in the dictionary that rhyme with: orange, purple, and silver!
22. Leonardo Da Vinci invented scissors. Also, it took him 10 years to paint Mona Lisa's lips.
23. A tiny amount of liquor on a scorpion will make it instantly go mad and sting itself to death. i'll remember that when i'm faced with a scorpion and coincidently holding alcohol
24. The mask used by Michael Myers in the original "Halloween" was a Captain Kirk's mask painted white.
25. If you have three quarters, four dimes, and four pennies, you have $1.19. You also have the largest amount of money in coins without being able to make change for a dollar
26. By raising your legs slowly and lying on your back, you can't sink in quicksand jen's comment (and you thought this list was completely useless.)
27. The phrase "rule of thumb" is derived from an old English law, which stated that you couldn't beat your wife with anything wider than your thumb.
28. The first product Motorola started to develop was a record player for automobiles. At that time, the most known player on the market was the Victrola, so they called themselves Motorola.
29. Celery has negative calories! It takes more calories to eat a piece of celery than the celery has in it to begin with.It's the same with apples and cucumbers!
30. Chewing gum while peeling onions will keep you from crying!
31. The glue on Israeli postage stamps is certified ''kosher''.
32. ''Guinness Book of Records'', holds the record for being the book most often stolen from Public Libraries.
33. Astronauts are not allowed to eat beans before they go into space because passing wind in a space suit damages it. whoa so what if you really need to fart? ;P
34. George Carlin said it best about Martha Stewart ....
"Boy, I feel a lot safer now that she's behind bars. O.J. Simpson and Kobe Bryant are still walking around; Osama Bin Laden too, but they take the ONE woman in America willing to cook, clean, and work in the yard, and they haul her fanny off to jail."